Built in 1884 as Waynesboro’s original Central Market House, the building provided open-air space for local farmers and hunters to sell their provisions to the residents of Waynesboro each week.
In 1895 the building was sold and began use as a recreational center, housing basketball courts, the borough’s first indoor tennis courts and at one time a skating rink.
Grove Brothers Ice Cream Company served as a community staple, offering ice cream made right here in the building and even delivery by wagon through town.
In 1950 the building was sold and opened as Penn Dairies who continued bringing ice cream to the town. Later, the building was sold and housed a variety of businesses including Waynesboro Garage, Wayne Paint Company, and Christian Light Book Store.
In 1978 the Morningstar family acquired the building and opened Furniture Market, the area’s source for La-Z-Boy and other home furnishings which operated for 40 years.
In keeping up with changing markets, Harry Morningstar Jr. decided to close the Furniture Market and open 1884 Market House to honor the building’s roots and provide space for local collectors, artists, bakers, and makers to share their gifts with the community and help revitalize downtown Waynesboro.